Homemade flatbread pizza is one of my favorite emergency meals. I always keep flatbread in my freezer for those nights when it’s 5 pm, everyone is hungry, and I don’t have a plan for dinner. I top the flatbread with a couple of toppings and cheese, bake it in a 425-degree Farenheight oven for about ten minutes, and add a quick salad for a delicious last-minute meal.
Homemade flatbread pizza is also a great way to use up random leftovers. A couple of nights ago we ordered in gyros. Tonight I am going to make gyro pizzas.
My plan is to brush some flatbread with olive oil and top it with leftover gyro meat, caramelized onions, tomatoes, pepperoncini, and feta cheese. Once the pizzas have been baked I also have leftover tzatziki sauce for dipping.
Feel free to experiment with your homemade flatbread pizzas. You never know what delicious combination you will come up with.
What’s the difference between a pizza and a flatbread pizza?
- The dough. Flatbread pizza is typically made with unleavened dough.
- The shape. Pizza is usually round (or sometimes square) while flatbread pizza tends to be more oval and irregular in shape. Which to me feels like less pressure. When I make homemade flatbread pizza crust I let it roll out organically into whatever shape it wants to take.
- The toppings. They also usually have less sauce, cheese, and fewer toppings than a traditional pizza.
Toppings to try
Here are some traditional and non-traditional toppings to try. Pick your favorite combination and then try a new combination next week. Or for a fun family night or party set up a flatbread topping bar and let everyone create their own homemade flatbread pizza.
Thousand Island Dressing
|Fruit||Herbs & Spices||Cheese|
- Try making your own flatbread. Flatbread is incredibly easy to make. If you happen to be a sourdough baker I put together a recipe for a flatbread that uses sourdough discard.
- Don’t add too many toppings. Because flatbread is thinner than regular pizza crust it’s not going to hold up to mountains of toppings and cheese.
- Pre-cook meat and hardier toppings. All meat should be pre-cooked before being used as a topping. Also, feel free to sauté your vegetables as well. I usually don’t cook spinach, peppers, or mushrooms, but hardier vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots have a better texture if they’ve been slightly cooked before being used as a topping.
- Use a pizza stone. If you have one a pizza stone will give you an amazingly crispy crust. You can even use it on your outside grill if you’d rather not heat up the kitchen.
If you prefer to follow an exact recipe try one of these amazing flatbread pizza recipes.
Flatbread Pizza Recipes
- Healthy Copycat Blaze Vegan Pesto Naan Pizza – Cass Clay Cooking This copycat Blaze pesto pizza is vegan and packed full of veggies. It’s delicious and can be customized to your tastes.
- Fresh Mozzarella-Topped (Not So) Flatbread – Son Shine Kitchen Fresh mozzarella and herbs are perfect toppings for a delicious flatbread that’s easy to make and will feed a crowd as an appetizer or dinner!
- Easy Grilled Pita Pizza: Cheese & Mushroom Veggie Supreme – Melanie Cooks Fire up the grill and make these amazing grilled pita pizzas! Super easy to make, now anyone can enjoy pizza right off the grill!
- Spicy Honey Prosciutto Flatbread – Simply Happenings This sweet and spicy pizza has crispy prosciutto and fresh arugula baked on flatbread and drizzled with spicy honey. Great as an appetizer or as a main dish!
- Chicken Garlic Ranch Tortilla Pizza – Bitz & Giggles A quick and delicious “skinny” pizza with sprinkles of grilled chicken and fresh vegetables, bursting with mouth-watering garlic and ranch flavors!
- Easy BBQ Shrimp Pizza – Stef’s Eats and Sweets This easy BBQ Shrimp Pizza comes together in under 25 minutes!
- Shawarma Pizza – Hilda’s Kitchen Blog Individual-sized pizza with all the Mediterranean flavors you love: tahini sauce, goat cheese or feta, and your favorite toppings. Add a sprinkling of Za’atar and a drizzle of Pomegranate Molasses and dig in!
- Mediterranean Flatbread – Delicious Everyday This Mediterranean Flatbread starts out with a flaky phyllo dough crust, then it’s layered with incredible flavor from pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and kalamata olives!
- Caramelized Onion Fig and Goat Cheese Flatbreads – Babaganosh These Caramelized Onion, Fig, and Goat Cheese Flatbreads are made from scratch using the two-ingredient pizza dough. Freshly roasted figs and tangy goat cheese give these flatbread pizzas so much flavor. They are the perfect lunch or appetizer!
- Garlic Roasted Tomato Flatbread Pizza – Peas and Crayons Garlic Roasted Tomato Flatbread Pizza combine garlic roasted tomatoes with fresh spinach and melty mozzarella for a personal pizza that’s sure to delight!
For dessert try these delicious Fudgy Nutella Brownies.
Thanks for Reading!
Please remember to Like, Share, Tweet, & Pin this Post…
I publish new recipes every week! Sign up for my email newsletter to be the first to know when new recipes are published.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.