Lemony Sheet Pan Chicken with Zucchini and Tomatoes is an easy and delicious chicken dinner. This dinner is perfect for those nights when you are short on time and energy.
I love the combination of pasta topped with chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese. If you are looking for a low carb dinner feel free to skip the pasta.
I like to serve this meal with a simple side salad and a piece of garlic bread. This recipe will definitely become a new weeknight staple for us.
Sheet pan dinners are my go-to when I am in a hurry. Just toss everything on a sheet pan, and bake! If you use foil or parchment paper to line the pan — clean-up is a breeze!
To get started, in a large measuring cup or mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Cut the chicken into small bite-sized pieces. The key to cooking the chicken and vegetables quickly and evenly together is to make sure everything is cut to the same size.
Pour half of the marinade into a zip-top bag along and add the chicken. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Gently squish and turn the bag so that the chicken is evenly coated with the marinade, then lay the bag flat in a baking dish to catch any drips.
Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. The longer the chicken marinates the more intense the flavor will be.
After the chicken has marinated, cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces and dress the zucchini and tomatoes with the remaining marinade, arrange the vegetables and the chicken in a single layer on a sheet pan.
While the chicken and vegetables are baking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package instructions, and drain in a colander.
When the chicken and vegetables are mostly cooked, remove them from the oven and top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return the sheet pan to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned slightly.
Serve the chicken and vegetables over the pasta.
- If you’d like a more golden brown color, place the sheet pan under a broiler for a few minutes. NOTE! Do not broil if you have used parchment paper to line your sheet pan. It will catch fire! Don’t ask how I know this.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite herbs and vegetables. Cooking times may need to be adjusted based on which vegetables you choose. Check out this post which details cooking times for different meats and vegetables: How to Create Your Own Sheet Pan Meal .
- Feeling extra hungry? Add a side salad and a piece of garlic bread.
How to store
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for three to four days.
- I do not recommend freezing pasta dishes, the pasta can become mushy.
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice and Zest of Two Lemons
- 2 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Medium Zucchini - Chopped
- 10 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 cups Cooked Penne or other short pasta
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken in a large zip-top bag.
- In a large measuring cup or mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour half of the marinade into the zip-top bag. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Gently squish and turn the bag so that the chicken is evenly coated with the marinade, then lay the bag flat in a baking dish to catch any drips. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator so that it comes to room temperature and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini into 3/4 inch dice (you can leave the peels on). Leave the tomatoes whole. Place the vegetables in a bowl and toss them with the remaining marinade.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer around the edges of the pan and place the chicken in the center. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken and vegetables are baking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package instructions, and drain in a colander.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the oven and top them with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Return the sheet pan to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165F. The cooking time will vary based on the size of your chicken and how thinly you have pounded it.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the oven and let stand for five minutes.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables over the pasta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 765Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 53g
Thanks for Reading!
Please remember to Like, Share, Tweet, & Pin this Post…
I publish new recipes every week! Sign up for my email newsletter to be the first to know when new recipes are published.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.
Want to try some other great sheet pan recipes? Check out this post: Quick and Easy Sheet Pan Meals